Achievement Schools Teacher
2017-2018 School Year, Mid-Year Vacancies for 2016-2017 School Year
The Achievement Schools represent an unprecedented effort to provide an excellent neighborhood school for every child in the Frayser community of Memphis. A network of five zoned, neighborhood turnaround schools, the vision of the Achievement Schools is for every child in Frayser to attend an excellent neighborhood school. Since 2012, the Achievement Schools have been partnering with families and community members to provide an excellent education to students in Frayser.
The Achievement Schools currently operate five schools in Memphis: Corning Achievement Elementary, Frayser Achievement Elementary, Georgian Hills Achievement Elementary, Whitney Achievement Elementary, and Westside Achievement Middle.
Skills and Characteristics for Success
The Achievement Schools is actively seeking teachers who embody the following characteristics:
- Team Player - Values collaborating with and working alongside others; works productively to resolve conflict and assumes the best in others
- Drive - Motivated to pursue actions and solutions that dramatically advance student achievement
- Culturally Aware - Holds expectations for all students, works well across lines of difference, committed to the Frayser community
- Data-driven - Consistently gathers and utilizes data to drive student achievement
- Professional - Presents themselves in a professional manner in all interactions with students, families, and the community
- Self-Aware - Operates with humility, recognizes one's strengths and limitations, acknowledges the critical role that teachers play in students' achievement, and proactively works to learn and improve their craft
More specifically, an Achievement Schools Teacher will...
- Foster a positive, productive classroom culture
- Plan and deliver rigorous, standards-aligned lessons that cultivate students' knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Contribute to the school community
- Use data to reflect regularly upon student learning and adjust course when necessary
- Collaborate with colleagues in a productive and professional way
Life at the Achievement Schools
You can expect the following as an Achievement Schools teacher:
- Achievement Schools have an extended school day and teachers operate on an 11 month work year
- Teachers are evaluated via the Guiding Rubric for Instructional Transformation (GRIT). There will be a minimum of 3 formal evaluations each year and bi-weekly informal observations followed by feedback and coaching conversations.
- Achievement Schools operate on an open-door policy. Parents and visitors are always welcomed into our schools and classrooms.
- Teachers are expected to uphold common cultural practices in their schools.
- Teachers are expected to be on time and prepared daily.
- Teachers will have planning time; however, teachers are expected to participate in school and network meetings including data meetings, coach meetings, and network-wide PD.
Benefits of Working at the Achievement Schools
- Ongoing professional development, coaching, and support
- Opportunity for career growthand development through the Achievement Schools Teacher Career Pathways
- A centralized curriculum planning and coaching team which will support your planning efforts in the classroom
- Proven, experienced Memphis leadership in schools and at the network leadership level
- Generous compensation with opportunities for significant growth and leadership
- Comprehensive and competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Benefits and perks of employment with the State of Tennessee, including (but not limited to) state higher education fee discounts / waivers
- ...and more!
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution required
- Valid and active Tennessee teaching license required
- Experience teaching in an urban community preferred
- Commitment to working in the Frayser community with historically underserved students required
A teacher’s starting salary is based on prior teaching experience and can range from $47,000 - $70,000. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and a retirement/pension plan through the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS).
Pursuant to the State of TN's policy of non-discrimination, the Achievement School District and Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.